General Manager: Sturgeon Valley Golf & Country Club - Sturgeon County, AB
Given the pending retirement of our long serving General Manager we are looking for the right person and will be considering candidates as they present themselves. The Board is desirous of providing a sufficient period of transition to set both the club and incoming General Manager on the course for continued success.
We seek a candidate who understands success is not simply found in the numbers but will be achieved through the demonstration of personal attributes that garner the respect and recognition of their staff, our members, guests, and the communities we serve. The strength of the SVGCC Team is central to achieving the future performance of the Club and our General Manager will captain this team into the future.
Throughout your career, you have gained valuable leadership experience and demonstrated a high degree of respect and sensitivity to the patrons you have interacted with in previous roles. As a representative of SVGCC, your commitment to our organizational values will guide your interactions with our broader community.
For more than 60 years the Sturgeon Valley Golf and Country Club (SVGCC) has built a reputation as a welcoming community host to members and guests alike. Located a few minutes north of St. Albert, Alberta, and a short drive from Edmonton City Centre, SVGCC has developed into a thoughtful, challenging golf course with amenities to satisfy the golfer, member, or business guest.
The Club is surrounded by lush farmland and subdivisions that follow the Sturgeon River which forms the western boundary of the property. This idyllic setting provides the golfer with the sense of escape and solitude during their round.
SVGCC is a dynamic community hub. Providing outstanding service and well-maintained facilities in a relaxed and casual atmosphere. As a semi-private club, the General Manager and Board balance the accessibility of the greater community with member access to the course and amenities. The social fabric of our Club community reflects the pride of place, belonging, diversity and inclusiveness found in our community at large.
At the heart of the SVGCC is the Clubhouse, offering a full range of dining services from the main dining room to the lounge, restaurant, and our redesigned patio. These facilities are complimented by various meeting rooms to accommodate business, community and club, meetings, or social entertaining.
An active social calendar engages the Club community, bringing people together to create and build new relationships and some to reminisce of shots missed and laughs exchanged. This camaraderie forms the social fabric of our club and contributes significantly to our reputation and a sense of community and belonging.
Beyond the course, the Club offerings are complimented by a full-service Golf Shop, professional golf instruction, teaching areas, state-of-the-art simulator, club repair, driving range, and programs that cater to all levels of ability contributing to the full-service nature of the Club.
Regardless of whether you are a golfer, guest, or business colleague, you are greeted to the SVGCC by people who can’t wait to welcome you into our community and see that your needs are met.
Your playing experience is guided by Bill Robinson’s thoughtful design and layout that incorporates the natural flow of the property, the thoughtful placement of bunkers, mounds, trees, and hazards offers the golfer options to challenge their play. Located in the pastoral Sturgeon Valley, the course features scenic views of the farmland, the river and watershed that surround the course all adding to the enjoyment of the round.
This championship 18-hole par 72 course has the reputation of providing a wonderful golfing experience for golfers at all levels. While catering to the needs of the membership, responsiveness of the community at large, SVGCC regularly hosts business, charity, and accredited tournaments for professional and amateur golfers alike.
- Sturgeon Valley Golf & Country Club- Sturgeon County, AB
- Job Summary
The General Manager reports to the Board of Directors through the President. This individual plays a leading role in the achievement of the Strategic Pillars, operational and business objectives of the SVGCC.
We seek a candidate who understands success is not simply found in the numbers but will be achieved through the demonstration of personal attributes that garner the respect and recognition of their staff, our members, guests, and the communities we serve. The strength of the SVGCC Team is central to achieving the future performance of the Club and our General Manager will captain this team into the future. .
The Board believes candidates will possess a seamless blend of the following core competencies, experience, and attributes:
• You are a dynamic leader capable of building strong teams, you lead by example to model our Values, behaviours, and motivate staff.
• You provide direction and clarity of expectations, performance feedback and recognition leading to positive outcomes that enhance the experiences of those who use the services of the Club.
• You exhibit leadership by conducting yourself in a respectful and professional manner in all your dealings. Standard of Excellence
• You demonstrate a thorough understanding of the importance of establishing and ingraining superior member relations services to meet and wherever possible exceed the Club standards.
• Personally, you have the capacity to consistently achieve, deliver exceptional standards of service commensurate with a prominent semi-private golf and country club.
• Working collaboratively with the whole Team and Board you set and maintain high standards for all conduct, facilities, services, and communications.
• You model and lead the Club’s commitment to health and safety protocols and processes. Interpersonal and Fit
• Throughout your career you are known to demonstrate integrity and ethical conduct in words and deeds.
• You strive to embody the characteristics of a successful General Manager through honesty, straightforwardness, accountability, leadership, and dedication.
• You are known as a self-starter with a results-oriented work style.
• You combine and demonstrate excellent verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills in all your interactions.
• Your presence both on and off the course engages with the Team, Members and Guests providing you with unfiltered insight to our operations while, building recognition and camaraderie as a Club Ambassador. Member Relations
• You demonstrate a commitment to interact with the membership and guests gaining insight, empathy, understanding and awareness of their needs and appreciation all of which serves to strengthen the delivery of services.
• You are a confident, diplomatic, and competent professional who is a Leader and a take-charge person who recognizes the importance of accountability.
• A Professional, you carry and conduct yourself with a clear commitment to member service through an open, transparent, and respectful manner in all your interactions.
• A member first approach guides your interactions while maintaining a professional balance between empathy and process adherence in support of the Team and the Club. Business/Finance Skills:
• You have an entrepreneurial style complimented by a background in all aspects of business management including business development, finance, information technology, human resources, risk, and performance management.
• You are known as an innovative and strategic thinker with strong business acumen.
• You have led or contributed to the management of complex capital projects.
• Wherever possible you strengthen the stability of the Club by incorporating a succession planning mindset by identifying and developing staff for increased responsibilities.
Candidates for this key role have a blend of experience, education, and credentials that when considered, provide the SVGCC with a leader capable of achieving the outcomes defined.
Such experience may come from:
Reporting to a Board that has adopted a club governance structure and processes to lead the Club and General Manager to success would be preferred.
Senior leadership at a semi-private or public golf and country club or other prominent club or property, with a passion and understanding of what it means to have a premium country club experience would be preferred.
A minimum of ten (10) year’s progressively more responsible experience in a management or leadership role at:
• a Golf Club, Hotel or Resort, Athletic and Social Club.
• or, as a Professional within the Business, Golf, Hospitality, or Tourism sectors.
• College or university degree in business or golf management or equivalencies preferred.
• Club Management Association of Canada (CCM) certification is considered an asset.
• PGA of Canada Class "A" professional and member in good standing is beneficial
• Knowledge of Turf, Golf Shop and Food and Beverage Operations beneficial.
- The SVGCC offers a competitive Total Compensation program for the selected candidate and a salary range starting at $100,000 (negotiable given experience and qualifications).
- Group Health and Insurance Benefits,
- Various Allowances,
- Variable Pay,
- RRSP contributions.
- PGA of Canada Specialization
- Golf Operations
- PGA of Canada Specialization
- Management & Leadership
- Start Date
- Course Website
- Employment Duration
- Year Round
- Contact Information
Please submit your expression of interest through the SVGCC website https://www.sturgeonvalleygolfclub.com/ not later than November 25, 2022.
If you have any questions, please complete the webform and we will respond within 24 hours. SVGCC welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
We encourage applications from equity-seeking communities, including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions