Are you looking for a new challenge that combines your passion for hospitality, with the business of golf? Are you an inspirational leader who sets a high bar for delivering exceptional and memorable experiences for Members and guests? Are you a strategic thinker with a reputation for keeping your eye on the big picture while achieving day-to-day operational excellence? If yes, we’d like to invite you to apply for the role of General Manager with The Vancouver Golf Club, located in Coquitlam, British Columbia.
About the The Vancouver Golf Club
Founded in 1910, The Vancouver Golf Club (VGC), Coquitlam, B.C., is widely recognized as one of the finest, most storied private golf clubs in the Pacific Northwest. With a diverse Membership of over 1,300 Members, the VGC’s culture is inclusive, fostering a camaraderie that makes the Club feel like a “home away from home” for its Members.
The VGC’s 18-hole championship course is one of Vancouver’s most beautiful and challenging courses, situated in a woodland park setting of over 176 acres. The Club is open for play 363 days a year, with approximately 43,000 rounds of golf per annum. VGC has played host to numerous top tier competitive events including four Canadian LPGA’s, one PGA Champions, ten BC Amateur Men’s, and one Canadian Junior Men’s Championship.
Gross annual revenues are approximately $9M CAD, with a staff headcount of up to 130 during peak season. VGC amenities include a 40,000 square foot clubhouse, multiple dining spaces and decks, a fitness centre, a million-dollar practice facility, extensive instruction and coaching programs led by our PGA Professionals, and a variety of other social amenities.
- The Vancouver Golf Club - Vancouver, BC
- Job Summary
- The successful candidate will be responsible for all facets of Club Operations, reporting directly to the Board of Directors through the President, in accordance with the strategic, financial and operational direction from the Board. The General Manager is dedicated to the Club’s Mission Statement, Vision and Values administered through the Bylaws and Policies and the Long-Range Strategic Plan of the Club. Direct reports include Director of Hospitality, Director of Golf, Greens Superintendent, Controller and Executive Assistant/Membership Coordinator.
- Inspire and lead a strong leadership team of golf and hospitality professionals to deliver excellent Member experiences consistent with the expectations of a premier private golf club.
- Be a highly visible face of the Club, building rapport with Members through in-person interactions, electronic communications and by being present at key Member events.
- Support the Club’s management and staff including day-to-day leadership, recruitment, coaching/mentoring, training, evaluating performance, disciplining, and succession planning.
- Lead the management team and staff to deliver remarkable standards for Member experience, the golf course condition, food and beverage, and customer service at the Club.
- Provide the Board, Members, management and staff with clear, purposeful and transparent communication on key topics.
- In consultation with the Finance Committee and the Board, deliver short and long-term operational and capital results in line with Board approved budgets. Provide the Board with clear and timely financial reporting including key metrics and KPIs.
- In consultation with Member committees, develop short and long-term strategic and operational plans consistent with the guiding Long Range Strategic Plan approved by the Board.
- Coordinate and serve as an ex-officio Member of all Board Committees.
- Ensure the security of the Club’s assets and compliance with all legal and regulatory matters affecting the Club.
- Lead and manage all aspects of current and new Member Club Bylaws and Policies including all existing Member suggestions, questions and complaints. Where required, recruit new Members to the Club in conjunction with the Membership Committee.
- Establish and maintain professional and positive relationships with the municipality, immediate neighbours, associations, suppliers, consultants and contractors.
- A trustworthy, ethical, dependable leader who understands the culture and dynamics of a Member-owned, not for profit private club.
- An exemplary leader for all salaried management and unionized staff employed at the Club, ensuring high standards of quality and service are upheld, in accordance with best practices for performance management.
- An enthusiastic personality with a proactive presence while engaging the Membership and striving to deliver a superior Member experience within all areas of the Club.
- A self-starter with a result-driven work style that fits within the culture of the Club and the Member expectations.
- An adaptable individual who confronts challenges and problems with a solution-oriented approach and a high degree of integrity.
- A politically astute leader who can identify “hot issues” and deal with them effectively while exercising tact and diplomacy.
- A demonstrated ability to develop a dedicated team with a shared vision.
- An ability to nurture professional trust with the Board, Members, management and staff through honest, transparent behaviour.
- At least 7-10 years experience in a senior management leadership role, preferably in a private club environment, hospitality or similar business.
- A post-secondary degree in golf club management, hospitality or a related discipline. A Certified Club Manager (CCM) designation or equivalent is preferred and evidence of continued professional development.
- The Club will offer the successful candidate an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary and executive benefits.
- PGA of Canada Specialization
- Management & Leadership
- Course Website
- For more information about the VGC visit https://www.vancouvergolfclub.com/
- Contact Information
This is an amazing opportunity for the right candidate who has a demonstrated ability to inspire and motivate a team to contribute to the VGC’s rich history.
Interested individuals are invited to send their resume and cover letter summarizing your qualifications and alignment with the position requirements no later than Friday, February 18, 2022 to email@example.com
All applications and responses will be held in strict confidence. Only successful candidates under
consideration will be contacted.
The VGC is an equal opportunity employer and we would like to thank all applicants for their interest.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization as well as providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with relevant legislation. Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request.