Canadians Tee It up for PGA TOUR Spot at Dark 'n Stormy® World Par 3 Championship
The Dark ‘n Stormy World Par 3 Championship kicks off Friday at Fairmont Southampton’s Turtle Hill Golf Club in Bermuda.
For the first time in the event’s history, the champion will gain an exemption into the PGA TOUR's Bermuda Championship at Port Royal Golf Course, held Oct. 26 to Nov. 1.
The winner of the professional division will also take home the first-place prize of $10,000 (USD).
The 36-hole championship, which takes place March 6-7, features an impressive sold-out field of 120 players from five different countries, with 50 professionals vying for their share of the $50,000 (USD) purse, and 70 amateurs seeking titles in the amateur, women’s and senior amateur divisions.
Several PGA of Canada members are hoping to punch their ticket to the PGA TOUR event later this fall.
"We have a long-standing partnership with the World Par 3 Championship that provides members with an incredible off-season playing opportunity," said Adam LeBrun, Managing Director of Championships and Foundation at the PGA of Canada.
"The addition of a PGA TOUR exemption has attracted a highly-competitive and diverse international field, including a number of top Canadian players," he added.
This year’s field includes:
- Canadian Par 3 champion and 2019 PGA Championship of Canada winner, Dustin Risdon
- 2018 PGA Championship of Canada winner and No.1-ranked player on the PGA of Canada Player Rankings presented by RBC, Pierre-Alexandre Bedard
- 2013 PGA Assistants' Championship of Canada winner and No.6-ranked player on the PGA of Canada Player Rankings presented by RBC, Bill Walsh
- Two-time PGA Assistants' Championship of Canada winner, Brian McCann
- Mackenzie Tour player and past World Par 3 and PGA Head Professional of Canada champion, Ian Doig
- LPGA TOUR player and 2019 U.S. Solheim Cup team member, Megan Khang
- Two-time PGA TOUR Champions winner, Roger Chapman
- 2018 U.S. Women's Mid-Amateur champion, Shannon Johnson
To view the full field and first-round tee times, click here.
In addition to 36-holes of championship play, golfers will be treated to several festivities throughout the week, including a welcome reception at Fairmont Southampton, post-play party at Gosling's headquarters and a PGA TOUR crowning ceremony at Turtle Hill Golf Club’s Boundary Sports Bar & Grille.
Past champions of the World Par 3 Championship include Bermudian Daniel Augustus, PGA TOUR winner Nick Taylor, PGA of Canada member Ian Doig, American Jordan Mitchell, Mark Mouland of the European Senior Tour, Thomas Curtis, Rafael Becker, Daniel Gaunt and last year’s winner Barry Lane.
The leaderboard will be available here.