Education & PAT Schedule
- Building and Leading a Small Business
- PGA Training Academy
- Start Date
- October 6, 2021
- End Date
- November 17, 2021
- Registration Deadline
- September 29, 2021
- # Registered
- 4 / 20
Credit Value : 3 Elective Credits (Counts towards both Teaching and Coaching Specializations)
Our four-session, the online instructor-led course was developed and is now facilitated by Ellen C. Shaffner.
Session 1. Wednesday, October 6
Session 2. Wednesday, October 20
Session 3. Wednesday, November 3
Session 4. Wednesday, November 17
• Create the business case
• Critically assess road blocks and stagnant periods and make changes accordingly (how can a golf business be effective in the offseason)
• Explain what it means to have an entrepreneurial mindset
• Explain the difference between being an entrepreneur and having an entrepreneurial mindset
• Identify their skills and strengths to justify why they are starting their own small business
• Explain who you are targeting and why you have chosen that niche
• Understand basic laws governing being an entrepreneur
• Effectively market to the niche target audience
• Outline when to hire and how to manage employees
• Explain the challenges that comes with starting a business
Ellen Shaffner is a PhD candidate in Management and works as a professor in the Department of Communications and Public Relations at Mount Saint Vincent University. She specializes in management and leadership skills, as well as communication and general business. She also regularly consults for small businesses across a variety of industries.
She is an enthusiastic and engaging online instructor with a strong background of theory and practice. Her style is to facilitate enjoyable learning through active inquiry and supportive interaction, so that all course members can learn from her, as well as from the experiences of others.
Ellen played golf throughout her youth and has a high-level understanding of the sport. This has helped her understand the strategic challenges of crafting a successful business and brand in the golf industry. She is passionate about helping others develop their skills and achieve success as leaders in their fields. In her course, you can expect to have fun, think strategically, and apply knowledge in a practical, hands-on way which will positively benefit your career.
Learners will only be permitted one missed class per course. If this total is exceeded, the learner will receive a not-yet grade for the course.
Assignment Resubmission Policy
Learners have a maximum of three resubmissions per assignment, project, or knowledge check to achieve a course's passing grade. A missed deadline is considered an attempt.
After receiving a 'Not Yet' grade for an assignment, the learner has a maximum of 2 weeks to resubmit the assignment. If the course passing grade is not achieved after the 3rd attempt, the learner will receive a grade of "Not Yet" and not receive credit for this course.
Refund Policy for Live Instructed Courses
After registration – full refund (minus $25 administrative fee)
After the first class – half refund of the course (minus $25 administrative fee)
After second class – $0 refund
For a detailed list of all PGA Training Academy Policies, please visit https://www.pgaofcanada.com/trainingpolicies