BROOKS GOLF CLUB IS IMMEDIATELY SEEKING A NEW GENERAL MANAGER.
Are you ready to inspire, lead, and create a team who excels at customer service? Are you looking for that next step in your golf business career, where you can be directly responsible for creating a vibrant club filled with satisfied golfers? Do you love golf, love a ‘small town’ community, and love a challenge? Then you may be the exact candidate that we’re looking for. On behalf of Brooks Golf Club, the Cronk Group is seeking an experienced veteran, or up and coming superstar, to be their new General Manager.
Brooks Golf Club is a semi-private facility with an enjoyable 18-hole golf course that plays over 6500 yards and has a reputation for excellent conditioning due to the efforts of the respected and long serving course superintendent and his staff. Other amenities include a driving range, an excellent short game practice area, and a full-service clubhouse that includes the very popular ‘Nineteen Restaurant’. The Club is located in the City of Brooks, Alberta, roughly a one-hour drive northwest of Medicine Hat and two hours southeast of Calgary Alberta. The town of Brooks, known as ‘The Town of One Thousand ‘Hellos’, has roughly 15,000 full time residents, and as the only full-sized golf course, Brooks Golf Club maintains a vibrant membership which is complemented by many active daily green fee players. To learn more visit www.brooksgolfclub.ca
- Brooks Golf Club - Brooks, Alberta
- Job Summary
The General Manager, reporting to the President of the Board of Directors, is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of Brooks Golf Club and for executing the strategic plan and policies as developed by the Board.
The General Manager will bring a vibrant and positive energy, along with excellent business acumen, that will create an effective, happy, and highly functioning workplace. With relevant experience in both golf and food & beverage operations, the General Manager will be an active ‘hands-on’ manager of these two departments.
The General Manager will lead and inspire all team members to deliver an exceptional experience for the members, the public golfers, and the community as a whole so that Brooks Golf Club achieves all of its financial and strategic plan goals.
To include but not limited to:
- Develop the annual budget of the Brooks Golf Club for Board approval
- Work closely with the Office Manager to monitor daily, weekly and monthly financial transactions to ensure alignment with budget and goals.
- Ensure the implementation of a financial control system that accurately records revenues, expenditures and commitments and complies with generally accepted accounting practices.
- Ensure accurate and timely preparation of monthly financial statements.
- Work closely with each department Manager to increase revenues while maintaining reasonable, responsible and budgeted expenditures.
- Ensure compliance with all government required taxes, filings, remittances, and programs.
- Oversee all department Managers including the Golf Shop Manager/Supervisor, Food and Beverage Manager/Supervisor, Golf Course Superintendent and administrative staff
- Manage all employee relations to create an engaged and Powered On team.
- Ensure that accurate personnel records are maintained.
- Ensure effective communication processes including weekly / monthly Management and Team member meetings.
- Build relationships with staff and to mentor, encourage and provide training and assistance to all.
- Develop and maintain performance standards and evaluations of all staff and ensure accountability of each staff member to their role.
- Develop and oversee implementation of annual Staff Handbooks and policies.
- Ensure proper orientation and training of all employees in all departments so as to ensure that each individual has a complete understanding of the Club’s policies, health and safety, and their own role.
- Ensure that all operations comply with accepted safety and health standards.
- Attend all Board meetings.
- Provide monthly reporting on financial operations.
- Respond to all Board requests, and Board meeting follow-up, as required, in a timely manner.
- Prepare notice of annual general meetings and all requirements involved in conducting these meetings.
- File all necessary annual reports, for any changes in by-laws, directors etc.
- Work with administration staff and board treasurer to prepare year-end statements and information for the accountant’s annual report.
- Represent Brooks Golf Club in the community by attending relevant events for the purpose of promoting the Club
- Encourage membership growth and ensure service levels meet the standards of a Membership club.
- Ensure that all players comply with golf club policies and regulations and where necessary ensure appropriate disciplinary measures are taken.
- Address membership queries and problems in a timely manner.
- Implement programs and marketing strategies that will increase all revenue centers, including but not limited to green fee revenue, lessons, retail sales, food and beverage and corporate sponsorships.
- Manage all internal and external communications, including the Club’s newsletter, website updates and social media platforms.
- Ensure the accurate maintenance and growth of both a public and member database.
The successful candidate will have:
- Previous experience in a similar role in the hospitality industry (including golf, food and beverage, hotel, athletics, etc) and/or relevant work experience.
- A high level of communication skills and positive human resource management talents that will enable the candidate to successfully work with the Board of Directors, the Management Team and the members and guests of Brooks Golf Club.
- Past experience and/or a solid understanding of Golf Operation Management (golf shop, retail, instruction, etc).
- Past experience and/or a solid understanding of Food and Beverage Management.
- A good understanding of accounting procedures and financial statements.
- A good understanding of marketing and revenue generation strategies.
- A basic understanding of Board Governance.
Other desired experience and proven qualities that may include;
- Affiliation with the PGA of Canada and/or the Canadian Society of Club Managers
- A reputation as a dynamic and highly visible leader with the ability to maintain a strong team by motivation and leading by example.
- An ‘outside the box’ thinker who is willing to be innovative.
- Someone who promotes a professional image within the Club, the industry and the community.
- A keen interest in continuous learning and professional development
- A self-starter and a results oriented work style
- The role provides an attractive year-round compensation package, commensurate with experience and talents, which will include a competitive base salary, bonus and other benefits
- PGA of Canada Specialization
- Management & Leadership
- Course Website
- Contact Information
Interested applicants should apply by sending a resume and cover letter in PDF format by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline is January 30th, 2021.
Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. For more information on the Cronk Group visit www.cronkgroup.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization as well as providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with relevant legislation. Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request.