NEW PRICE! - Golf Course Operation For Sale in Hope, BC
Hope Golf Club Turnkey Operation For Sale!
Surrounded by spectacular mountains and bordered by the beautiful Fraser and Coquihalla Rivers, the Hope Golf Club is a rare gem offering a unique golfing experience. Various tee options give golfers of all skill levels the opportunity to rise to the challenges presented by the well maintained 9 Greens-18 Tees layout. Club selection will vary not only from the tees but also into the approaches to the green while you enjoy the dynamic landscape which makes Hope a prime golf destination. In reaching the manicured fairways and the grand greens you will be tested by hidden fairway bunkers and protecting bunkers greenside. Prominent penalty areas will also test your mettle as you decide to “go for it”.
At the Hope Golf Club every direction you gaze towards offers majestic views while wildlife is abundant including curious deer and playful marmots. Edged up against the Coast and Cascade mountains just a 90-minute drive east of Vancouver and a three-hour drive from Seattle, Hope (pop. approx.7,000) is a gateway destination to British Columbia's most diverse scenery. Hiking, fishing and sightseeing are as much a part of Hope's natural heritage as are its iconic chainsaw carvings that reference its logging history, festivals that celebrate its early trading days and gold rush pioneers, and its network of parks, rivers and pathways that preserves its history and wildlife.
Bonavin Professional Services Inc. is offering a complete turnkey business operation for sale at the Hope Golf Club. It is a fully operational, busy, well established business complete with all needed equipment and assets for continued operation. Training and consultation will be provided as needed and agreed upon to ensure a smooth transition. The business is multifaceted and includes operating the golf course, a 36 seat restaurant, a 30 seat patio and a 125 seat banquet facility. Lands and Buildings not part of the sale as they are owned by the District of Hope and the Hope Golf & Country Club Society.
Hope Golf Club is in its 56th year of operation. It is a well-established golf course with a loyal membership and broad base of out of town guests that make it a “must play” every season. For the first 46 years the club was built and run by the membership through a non-profit society and a lot of volunteerism to aid the staff.
To this day the members take great pride in the course and still volunteer countless hours on improvements, cleanup and gardening. They are an integral part of this course and while they are out of the day to day operations they still are the heartbeat of what makes this club great.
Seeing a great opportunity, first Krahn Food & Entertainment Ltd DBA Hope Golf Club (KF&E) purchased the business, including all assets, in March 2011. Then in January 2017 Bonavin Professional Services Inc. DBA Hope Golf Club (BPS) saw the same opportunity and purchased the business, including all assets from KF&E.
The golf course is situated on approximately 80 acres of land owned by the District of Hope and the Crown and leased and sub-licensed to the golf club via the Hope Golf & Country Club Society. The Society then sub-leases the premises to the Operator who in part runs the business portion of the facility.
The course is one of the most scenic found anywhere. With 9 holes and 18 sets of tees, you have all the benefits of an 18 hole championship course with a 9 hole maintenance cost. The different tee blocks used for each 9 holes dramatically changes the layout making it an exciting and interesting round. The par is 72 for men and 72 or 74 for ladies (depending on tees played) and is just under 6400 yards long from the back tees and just under 5300 from the new forward tees. Mixed tees play just over 6000 and just under 5800 giving golfers of all levels various options dependent on their skill level.
All tees and greens have automated irrigation along with approximately 1/2 of the fairways. The long term plan is to automate the rest of the course by doing small projects each season by the Society. In 2015 the irrigation system was upgraded in order to support all future automation upgrades to the system and provide consistent pressure to all sprinkler heads and zones. Between 2017 and 2019 irrigation on holes 1/10, 8/17 and 9/18 were fully upgraded with the rest to be done over the next couple of years.
Located parallel to hole #3 is a 5 stall driving range with upgraded mats as well as several new spare mats for future use. Alongside the beautiful well maintained course, there is a large shop and maintenance yard. The shop has ample room to hold all necessary equipment. In it there is also a workshop, office and 2 mezzanines. It is a very functional and spacious shop and fully equipped for needed repairs and maintenance. There are also 2 large raised gas tanks used for marked diesel and marked regular gas located by the equipment wash bay.
Next is the clubhouse located in a picturesque setting. On the ground floor the clubhouse has a 450sqft Pro Shop, a 35 seat restaurant, a 30 seat patio, a bar, commercial kitchen and men’s/ladies locker rooms. In 2017 it was fully updated with renovations to bathrooms, Pro Shop and newly painted throughout. In 2019 the society put it a new furnace and air conditioning unit.
Upstairs is a 125 seat banquet facility with a complete bar, commercial kitchen, men’s/ladies washrooms and 2 storage rooms. It was also renovated in 2017 including bathrooms and painted in modern colours. In 2019 the society put in a new water heater to accommodate a new commercial dishwasher to better service large events. The upper clubhouse also has a wraparound deck overlooking the golf course and is a spectacular setting for wedding receptions, community functions and tournament dinners.
Growth and Improvements
BPS, with its vast industry knowledge, completed many upgrades and started many projects for the betterment of the business. This includes:
- Upgrading Turf Maintenance costs for better course conditions
- Renovation of the clubhouse facilities in order to increase F&B sales
- Updated the riverside ceremony site for weddings
- Installing a fully stocked Pro Shop including updated point of sale system with online tee booking, Website and detailed sales reports
- Bus Tours, Christmas Parties, Special Family Events have been part of the F&B growth
BPS also reinvigorated existing events as well as added several new ones:
- The Men’s Autumn Leaves Tournament and the Ladies Open are two of the best attended events in the Fraser Valley
- New events such as the Mini Masters and the Fathers Day Scramble have grown in participation since their inception in 2017
- Reigniting the Club Championship at Hope Golf Club has given members the opportunity to participate and be crowned Gross and Net Champions in several categories
Areas of Future Growth and Opportunity
Although many improvements have already been completed, there are still many opportunities for growth:
- While the restaurant currently operates April 1-September 30 there is opportunity for usage year round specifically as a lunch time location. With double pane windows for heat efficiency and the bright atmosphere it would be an additional revenue generator with no additional capital expense
- The Trans Mountain Pipeline will bring several out of town workers to the area for the next 4 to 5 years. The various type of shift work on the line and disposable income will give golfers the opportunity to play several rounds per season at Hope Golf Club
- The increase of younger families moving to the area as well as retirees should bode well for increased participation at the golf course in all facets
- Adjacent to the clubhouse are 2.5 unused acres with 900 feet of riverfront along the Coquihalla River. This could potentially become un-serviced or partially serviced RV/camping site with minimal costs to develop. This could facilitate up to 12 sites and would bring in additional revenues in Play and Stay Packages
Investment in the Business by BPS since 2017: $491,000.00 including all assets
Asking Price: $399,000.00 (negotiable) including all assets
We would like to thank you for taking the time to look at our business and we look forward to answering any questions that might arise. If you are interested in this opportunity please contact us, Bonnie and Vince Cianfagna at 604-345-0766 or email@example.com. Please do not approach staff, members or come to view the facility without an appointment. We appreciate your discretion.